Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Try Something New & Unusual

I get bored so easily with the same thing over and over.  I have made it a rule to never decorate a tree the same two years in a row.  That doesn't mean that I don't reuse the decorations.  I Most people drag the same tree out from year to year and rarely ever add much new to the ornaments.  If you're like me and would like to add a little pizazz to your decor then try doing something new and unusual.

Try finding a new tree and give your worn out old artificial a break...and by new I don't mean the same tree, different height.  Find something out of the ordinary.  There are lots of options out there if you look in the right places.  Start at a local department store or specialty gift shop.  Often times companies like Department 56 create a special "display tree" to sell with a particular holiday collection.  Many times the store will buy the tree to diplay the pieces and then sell it when the seaon is over.

On a recent trip to Shipshewana Indiana I found a display tree that I fell in love with.  I actually found the same exact tree in two different stores but couldn't talk them into selling it to me.  It was a Jim Shore display tree, produced by Department 56.  I rushed back to the hotel that very night and search for it on eBay.  I was pretty bummed to not find it.  I did some random searching for a while without any luck.  Out of the blue one day I decided to type it into eBay again and this time I found it.  I was super excited and purchased it.  Here is the stock picture of this tree (which doesn't do it justice).


This tree is going to be pretty amazing after it gets the "Donnie treatment."  I have re-wrapped the rings with a branch garland and then put lights on it.  Check back after December 2nd to see pics from this year's decor.  This tree will sit next to my faux fireplace mantel, decorated in Silver & Gold, with accents of sheet music and black. 

Here are a few pictures of some other new and unusual trees.




http://www.tannenboing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment