Friday, November 18, 2011

Burlap Ribbon

Some time ago a co-worker saved wine bottles for me that I had intended to use to decorate in my kitchen.  I never ended up using the bottles and decided one day to pitch them.  While doing so I found that inside the boxes were a bunch of the wine corks.  I kept those with the intent of making something with them.  I finally used them this year and made ornaments (which I blogged about earlier).

After making the ornaments I decided to go with a Tuscan, rustic wine theme in my kitchen for Christmas.  My kitchen is decorated in that theme all year so that meant I could incorporate what I already had out instead of packing it up for the season.  In an attempt to make things more rustic I decided that I'd add some burlap.


I did some searching and never found exactly what I was looking for in terms of a burlap ribbon.  So...as with most things I decided to make my own.  It turned out exactly how I had hoped and looks great combined with the stamped muslin ribbon I posted about earlier.  I took a few pieces of my ribbon and tied them up into bows.  I must say that they look pretty good as well.

I have decided that I may go one step further and attempt some easy burlap valances and a throw pillow so that all areas of the kitchen tie in to the decor of the tree.  Check back to see how that all turned out.

Supplies
Burlap
Scissors
Tape Measure

Instructions

1. Decide what width you want your ribbon.  Measure out and score several sections.

2. Cut the length of the fabric.  It's best if you carefully follow allow the thread path.  This will make it easier to frey the edges.


3. To frey the edge, start pulling a thread at a time, starting with the outermost thread.



4. Continue step 3 until you have pulled far enough to get the desired amount of frey.

NOTE:  The salvage edge (finished edge from the bolt of fabric) is likely looped when manufactured to keep the burlap from freying.  You will need to trim a small amount along that edge if you wish to frey it.




No comments:

Post a Comment