Saturday, November 12, 2011

Feather Topped Ornaments

A few years back feathers made their way into my arsenal of decorating supplies.  It all started by these very cool but simple ornaments I found while searching around online.  My Christmas decorating has never been the same since.  Here is how is all started...



This ornament that I found online was a very simple glass ornament...solid colored with a band of feathers wrapped around the top.  Of course the site I was surfing around wanted some ridiculous amount of money for a set of two of them.  There was no way I would ever spend that kind of money for something like that BUT it did get the wheels turning in my head about how I could make them myself. 

I made a quick dash to Hobby Lobby and was lucky enough that their feathers and boas were half price (keep an eye out because they are usually on sale every 2-4 weeks).  I grabbed some plain siver ball ornaments, a rope of black marabou (a thinner type of feather boa) and headed home to make my own ornaments.

 It only took a few supplies that I already had at home and Ta Da...I had made really neat ornaments and found a new material that changed the future of my Christmas trees.  I started using feathers in ways I would've never imagined.  Check back because I'm going to show you the many other ways I have incorporated feathers into my Christmas designs.  You won't wna to miss it!

Supplies
Ornaments of choice
Marabou (color that you choose to coordinate with your ornaments)
Scissors
Hot glue gun & glue



(I suggest having a vaccum close to minimize the flying feathers.  Trust me...they will be EVERYWHERE...Ha ha)

Instructions

1. Grab an ornanment and your marabou.  You'll need to cut a piece of marabou that is just big enough to wrap around the cap & hook of the ornament.

2. Run a ring of hot glue around the cap

3. Attach the marabou piece quickly, before the glue dries.  Press is firmly into the glue so that it can grab onto the marabou tightly enough to hold it around the cap.

4. Add a hook and your ornament is ready to hang.

No comments:

Post a Comment