Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Decorate With Memories

Several years ago I was surfing around eBay for Christmas decorations and ran across something very close to my heart.  I found a box of vintage ornaments that had about six blue glass bells in it.  My eyes teared up because there was something very significant about those particular ornaments.  I was instantly reminded that my grandma once had these same blue bells.  I was suddenly flooded with memories...things that hadn't crossed my mind in years.

As a kid I would help my grandma put up all of her Christmas decorations.  She and I were very close and had the most amazing relationship.  It hadn't been all that long before this eBay find that she had passed away.  All of the sudden, something as simple as an ornament from the past had stirred my heart.  Of course I paid whatever price necessary to win that box of blue bell ornaments.  That began a new love for me...vintage ornaments.

My tree...Just like grandma's
That year I was determined to recreate grandma's tree in one of my rooms.  With a little help from my mom I was able to find a picture from years back with grandma's tree in the background.  I went on another eBay shopping quest and was lucky to find nearly every component of her tree...even down to the satin wrapped ornaments that ALWAYS came unwrapped. 

I accessorised the room with other reclaimed Christmas items from my childhood.  It was a pretty amazing room...if to no one else but myself.  Standing there, gazing upon that tree was almost like sharing one more Christmas with grandma.

From that year forward I have placed one blue bell somewhere throughout most rooms in my house...whether is matches the rest of the decor or not (which if you know me you know that is against anything I'd normally ever do...LOL).  In fact, there are a couple rooms where you'll find that special bell hanging all year round.  It serves as a wonderful reminder of someone I love and miss so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment