Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Plan...Plan...& Plan Some More

As you can imagine, Christmas is a huge deal in my home.  I have a yearly open house to show off what I've done.  Friends have come to plan on this event, anxious to see what's in store.  They know that I never do the same thing two years in a row so the anticipations builds as the open house draws near.  They can clearly tell that doing all of the decorating is a huge feat, but laugh at me when they know I'm planning early in the  year.


I keep a Christmas notebook that I use all year to write down ideas that I've seen or thought up on my own.  I also keep magazine clippings in it to refer back to when I start executing my decor.  Whether it be an actual image of holiday decorations, a style of ornament that I think I can make on my own, a color combination that I hope to reproduce on a tree...whatever the reason for the pic, I consider it inspiration and keep it.



Of course I don't start from scratch with brand new every year.  I add new to what I own, mixing new color combinations and themes.  As soon as Christmas is over the wheels in my head start turning for next year.  Planning ahead means saving money.  I hit all of the department and crafts stores after Christmas to start grabbing what's left on clearance.  I'm sure to get the things I have been watching all season at 50-70% off but wait to really load up when the piles of leftovers hit 90%.  Often the treasures I find for mere cents dictate how I plan for the next year.

Accessories around the room are very important to me.  I find clearanced items throughout the entire year that I pick up knowing that I can work it into a possible design scheme or color combination that I've envisioned.  There are always lots of amazing glassware, resin sculpture pieces and more that can be added into the mix once you begin to decorate.  Often those pieces find a new place throughout my home after Chrsitmas get packed away.


Planning ahead also affords me the time to add handmade touches to my decor.  I often make ornaments by hand to add elements to my decor that can't be found anywhere else.  Handmade ornaments open the door for friends and family to join me, both getting them involved and teaching them how to make things for themselves.



I'm a firm believer than planning ahead is the best way to achieve the most amazing display of Christmas decor.  I'll let my friends laugh at my year round planning because I know they'll be in awe at what I've done once the calendar finally hits December.

No comments:

Post a Comment