Saturday, March 3, 2012

Moss For Christmas?

I have found an incredible medium that I absolutely love...moss! I was browsing the isles at my local Dollar Tree store and I found myself looking at the floral/vase section. They had a bag of what looked like moss covered stones. I had been brainstorming to think of how I was going to decorate my cool re-claimed greenhouse for all of the seasons of the year. These green moss stones got the creative juices flowing. I bought a few bags of the faux stones (for a whopping $1 a piece) and then my obsession began.

While I have originally made these ornaments to be used for my spring decor, they can still easily be used by some in their Christmas decor as well.  These would be perfect used on a tree decorated with dried florals or even a garden themed tree.  You read correctly...I've never had a garden themed tree but I've seen many who have.




My search for moss ended at Hobby Lobby where I found moss in pre-packaged sheets. These sheets have a webbed backing that makes it super easy to attach to things. A package of this great stuff cost $6.99 but was a deal when I used my 40% off coupon (coupons for hobby lobby can be found online weekly at www.hobbylobby.com).



I am in love with this product. I have intentions "mossing" anything and everything that I can get my hands on. What until you see some of the things I have done with this moss. I don't have pics of these ornaments in action. I'll post those after I get all of my spring decor put up in the living room. Stay tuned!

Supplies
Ornaments (old or new)
Moss (I buy the sheets rather than a bag of just loose moss)
Scissors
Glue gun & glue



Instructions
  • Start buy cutting some random pieces from your moss sheets.
  • Carefully apply glue your moss pieces.
  • Apply the pieces to your ornament. You may need to do some creative folding but you'll find that these moss sheets are very forgiving. You'll need to start cutting specific sized pieces to fill in holes as you work your way around your ornament. The moss is very easy to use.



These moss ornaments would be perfect additions to the following trees.






No comments:

Post a Comment